Common applications of DLS
Protein purification and buffer formulation
- The unique sensitivity to the presence of larger particles or aggregates in an otherwise homogenous solution, makes DLS particularly suitable for protein crystallography and the pursuit of a pure, monodisperse formulation necessary for good quality crystal formation.
- The exquisite sensitivity of DLS makes small numbers of aggregates highly visible
- The size measurement given by DLS can be instantly converted to a close approximation of molecular weight provided by standard curves built into software
- The speed of DLS makes it easy to observe the dispersion of micelle formations in a series of dilutions
- Molecular changes caused by a change in temperature are easily and quickly observed by DLS
Colloids and Nanoparticles
- Measure the size and polydispersity of manufactured particles.